Search This Blog

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Coming up empty handed

So, my niece has been visiting this weekend. She's 8. She'll be 9 this summer. I had the idea of going to the local book store and maybe picking up a book for me and a book for her. As it turned out, I really couldn't look at books for myself having her with me. And instead of me picking a book for myself, we got 6 books for her. Some to take home with her and some to leave at my house. While I really would have loved a new book of my own, I can't really complain about spending money on her for books. Any expense in the endeavor of reading is a worthy expenditure. She was a girl with a mission, though, I am telling you. She set off in search of James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. Luckily, they did have it, but it was difficult to find.  She also picked out a Junie B Jones book by Barbara Park, Book 1 of The Warriors series by Erin Hunter (It has cats as the characters), Book 1 of the Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls series by Meg Cabot(my choice), Book 1 in a new series called The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobsen (spotted by Uncle Cam) and The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi (Uncle Cam's choice). I am trying to get her away from Chapter books and into a little more challenging books for her age bracket.  If anyone has any suggestions for good reading material, bring it on.  In the mean time, be true to the word my friends.

My niece's haul:



1 comment:

  1. You're a good aunt! Sorry you didn't manage to get anything for yourself, but at least you're encouraging her love of books! When my niece was younger, I bought her the Warrior and Lemony Snicket books. The 39 Steps series is supposed to be good too, but I'm not sure what age group that's aimed for. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete