Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

It's Just Another Manga Monday: La Corda d'Oro 16 by Yuki Kure

It's just another manic Monday (for me). I wish it was Sunday. That's my fun day. My I don't have to run day. But it's not Sunday and today felt like I slammed my head through a brick wall to get to the work week.  Ah, the Go Gos.  How could you not love them?  Makes me want to rat my hair, wear lace gloves and rubber bracelets.  Well, perhaps not.

After working 11 hours, going to the grocery store and sorting through 6 comic boxes of Star Wars comics (which I am told equates to about 900 comics), and I am done for the day. I just want to read Enshadowed and here it is 11:30 already and I still have to wash up.

A blogger's day is never done, though, and I can't fore go my weekly manga post.

Alison Can Read started a weekly Manga Monday meme which I have jumped on. I've been reviewing manga from the start, but it is nice to have a place were like minded Otaku can meet and share our favorites. Currently Alison is running through and reviewing one of my favorite mangas, Skip Beat, so check it out.

For today's tasty and tempting morsel, I give you La Corda d'oro vol 16 by Yuki Kure.



Book Description:
Publication Date: August 7, 2012 | Series: La Corda D'oro (Book 16)
Every few years, the prestigious Seisou Academy holds a prominent musical competition, and only the very best students at the Academy are allowed to participate. Though all are eligible to apply, only students from the music department actually make it to the competition...until now.
On the eve of her big music competition, Kahoko should be getting some much-needed sleep…but she can’t stop thinking about Len. When Len reveals just how soon he’s leaving to study abroad, suddenly Kahoko can’t concentrate on music. Can she and Len admit how much they mean to each other before it’s too late? And can Kahoko still turn in a performance worthy of her training?

My Review:
This series still continues to be one of my favorites! I will say, though, that again, the pacing in this installment was a little on the slow side, but it was jam packed with tension and angst.

Kahoko has her big music competition. On the eve of her performance, she finds out that Len is going to be leaving Japan the same day. He had promised to be at her recital, but how can he be in two places at once?

And the only reason she found out is because she took him a thank you gift for all the help he has given her, practicing with her to help her get ready for the recital. She gives him a scarf. Ho hum. No wonder he is leaving Japan.  What is it about the gift giving in these manga where all the girls give the guys scarves or hats? Don't they have any other type of gifts they can give? How about an awesome new CD or some cologne? But I digress...naturally.

Anyway, back to the (in)action. So Kahoko obsesses over the fact that Len is leaving, that he wasn't going to tell her and she doesn't know if he will make it to her performance at the competition. All that pressure is making it hard for her to concentrate and prepare herself for the competition. How does she do? You know I can't divulge that bit of information.

Now to Len. It is obvious he has some feelings for Kahoko, but is he planning on making the recital or is he going to break his promise and just head to the airport? A run in with Ryotaro has him reevaluating his decision about the competition. Does he get there in time or does he turn his back and leave Japan and her behind? It's riveting!


And what of Ryotaro?  With Len out of the way, will he finally make an advance of his own with Kahoko?  Can he make her forget about Len?  For that, we will have to wait and see. It is not in this volume, but the next volume comes out May 7, 2013. Yeah. So there's quite a while to wait for that question to be answered.

Until then, you can satisfy your curiosity with volumes 1 - 16. Time to get reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment