Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2015

To Buy or Not to Buy: Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin

I do like stories set during High School. It's not like I'm going through a midlife crisis or I'm trying to relive my glory days. I think it may have something to do with experiencing a lot life has to offer for the first time. It's that innocence, naivete that I find so appealing. It's like looking at life with a new pair of eyes which is refreshing for one as jaded as I.

I do have to say, though, that not all High School dramas live up to my expectations. I can't always relate. So, let's see Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters fared in this installment of To Buy or Not to Buy.

Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin

Book Description (From Amazon):
Publication Date: March 1, 2012 | Age Level: 12 and up | Grade Level: 7 and up

So far this year isn't going the way she planned but it is undeniably memorable.

Kelsey Finkelstein is starting her freshman year of high school and she's determined to begin with a clean slate. Her arch-nemesis moved away this summer, finally giving her the chance to stand out on the soccer team and possibly catch the eye of her long-time crush. But things don't go as smoothly as Kelsey hopes and she finds herself navigating a series of increasingly hilarious situations. From mortifying pictures in the school paper to an unconventional lead role in the musical, all while avoiding her soccer captain's bad temper, Kelsey has her work cut out for her if she's going to survive freshman year.


My First Impression:
The book opens with Kelsey preparing for the arrival of her three friends, Em, Cassidy and JoJo. They have planned a strategy session to prepare for the first day of freshman year of high school.

I was never a girly girl. Never wore make-up. Not really into fashion. While I had lots of friends, I was never a posse girl. I would talk on the phone a lot, have sleep overs with one friend, but never a gaggle of girls. To be honest, I was never one of those types of girls either, the ones that hang out and shop, do each other’s hair, trade clothes, that type.

So I could not identify with these girls at all. I could also never understand the idea that starting high school was an opportunity to reinvent oneself. What is wrong with just being who you are?

Decision?

Not to buy

2 comments:

  1. Good choice! I was never that type of girl either, so wouldn't be able to relate. Plus to be honest, those girls annoyed me in high school and would probably annoy me now. Hope your next one is more to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read a sample for DUFF. I think I'll give it a try. It's gotten really good reviews.

      Delete