Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday Night is Movie Night: Casual Vacancy Miniseries



I just watched the HBO miniseries of Casual Vacancy. WTF!!! People, how could I have not had a clue??? Clearly, this is an example of buying the book based on the author's name alone.

I admit it. I pre-ordered the book. Got a really good discount on it too. I mean, I loooove the Harry Potter books, but I fail to find many who have read them and don't like them. I've mostly met them what have not been converted yet. Or people who just don't read.

Anyway, I figured it's JK! HP was awesome so Casual Vacancy must be too. I finally understand just how wrong I was.

A secret I must tell. I still have not read the book. Had I read the book, I would have known to stay clear away from the miniseries. I apologize to any of you out there that liked the book or the miniseries, I shudder to think, but for me it was just bloody awful. I felt like I was watching a Victorian drama that should star Michelle Pfeiffer or Keira Knightly.

It was a horrid little town, everyone was miserable. What a sad, uninteresting and downright nasty bunch of people. If they weren't nasty, they were so far into their own misery and making everyone miserable around them.

Everyone was unhappy, nobody got what they wanted, they all got the miserable ending they deserved and everybody died in the end. Okay, I made that last part up.

Clearly this is an example of JK getting too big for her britches when what she really needs is to get over herself. I'm so disappointed.

I still have a habit of buying books on speculation. I guess that won't stop, but maybe I ought to learn to make better choices in the future. Needless to say I will not be reading the book and I will divulge that I bought this book when it first came out. I am not buying so many books these days.

Although, consumers be aware, Amazon is still discounting a lot of hot YA titles deeply and I am ordering the ones on my wishlist because the hard cover is currently cheaper than the paperback will be. Man I love a bargain!

Seriously, though. A little warning next time. Someone could have gotten hurt.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one, but I know lots of people preferred the book to the miniseries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input! I suppose reading a sample won't hurt, but I do already know what happens. So there's that. That might be enough to prevent me from picking it up.

      Delete