Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Top 10 Tuesday - Best Books of 2013
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme from the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.
This weeks list is the Top 10 books read so far in 2013. I figured this one would be easy, and it was in a way. I am the type of person that never leaves the house without one or more books, well, over 100 if you count my eReader. I read all the time, every chance I get, which I will admit is not often enough for me, especially as of late. It's my hobby, my life, really. It's the thing I do, the thing that defines me, or at the very least one of the things that defines me.
So how is it that we are 6 months into the new year and I haven't read much more than 10 books?
Okay, let me qualify that. I actually have read above 20, but I lumped all the Covenant series books by JLA together. And there are about half a dozen books I read, but didn't love. And I read a bunch of manga.
So, for me, there wasn't much choice in my Top 10, but here it goes:
1) Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt - This one was probably my favorite book I've read so far this year.
2) Covenant Series by Jennifer L Armentrout - An entire series I couldn't put down. And the squee factor was pretty high. Although, I still need to read Apollyon.
3) A Midsummer’s Tights Dream by Louise Rennison - This one was the most amusing book I've read this year. I really love my Brit Chick Lit. Although, this series is about Georgia's cousin, Tallulah, it still the same sharp wit and humor as the Georgia Nicholson books.
4) The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller - This one was the story of my life. Well, not really, but I could relate with the main character on account of the fact that I'm a, well, nerd.
5) Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus - Another real page turner. I requested a sample because I had seen good things about it on other blogs. Once I started reading, I was hooked immediately. Sadly, it took me several months before I actually picked the book up to read. It was worth waiting for.
6) Our Song by Jordanna Fraiberg - This one was some what haunting. It kept me guessing. And I kept guessing wrong, so I was really glad I couldn't easily figure out all the plot twists. I really like In My Room, but this one was better. It was a little darker and more emotional I thought.
7) From When I Remember by Stacy Kramer and Valerie Thomas - This one was my guilty pleasure. I wouldn't call it a road trip book per se, but it ends up being one, and I just couldn't put it down. Vegas doesn't have anything on Ensenada, Mexico. That's all I'm saying.
8) Cinderella in Skates by Carly Syms - Love and Hockey. What more could I want? Well, a frelling Stanley Cup, but that privilege went to the Chicago Blackhawks. There's always next year.
9) This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E Smith - Movie Star falls for small town girl. It's a beautiful idea, in theory, but I'm not sure it would work. This book dealt with the reality of tomorrow in a relationship that is the stuff of dreams.
10) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Holy.....I'm not sure there is much else I can say. I read it in like two days. Fantastic.
There you have it, my best of 2013 so far. I'm looking forward to what the second half of the year will bring. There are a lot of awesome books coming out I can't wait to get my hands on!!!