Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Bummer Summer - To Buy or Not to Buy? - A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

Finally, and end to my Bummer Summer. I realize it is now almost the end of September, but things have been that manic.

So, the summer started out well. We took a trip to Burlington, VT for Fourth of July. It was a lot of fun. Once we came back, though, it was almost as if we were on lock-down. Sure, we made it to the New York Renaissance Festival and saw Guardians of the Galaxy, but those may have been the highlights.

Pretty much the month of August was a blur of stress and more stress. A lot going on at work made it impossible for me to function outside the job and I would just shut down upon returning home, generally to play Minion Rush for a while.

I read no books. Now that's a sad truth. I have 14 books still to review that I read last summer, but every time I sat at my computer, I either had other crap to do like paying bills or my mind would just empty of thoughts and I'd stare at the screen. Besides, since I read the books lasts year, I really kind of need to re-read them in order to review them.

So, I would sit and lament and move from there to frustration which only fueled the stress I felt from work.

Oh, I lied. I did actually read one book this summer, The Grumpy Guide to Life: Observations From Grumpy Cat. Took all of about 10 minutes.

After Labor Day, however, I vowed to make time for reading. Since Labor Day, I have read 4 manga books and three other books I want to say?

And if I'm reading again, I can start writing again. So expect to see more of me.

So, that being said, I present another installment of To Buy or Not to Buy?

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

Book Description (From GoodReads):
The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together. Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places.

Unfortunately, Lea is reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out. But somehow even when nothing is going on, something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV show. Their bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes in their relationship.

Surely Gabe and Lea will figure out that they are meant to be together....

My First Impression:

This book was being offered at BEA this year, but I missed picking it up. So, naturally, I couldn’t wait to pick it up, but I had to check out the sample first.

The sample wasn’t long enough and I wanted to read more. I have read books with alternating points of view, but this is the first I had read with alternating POVs of the main characters. I thought the approach was clever and interesting. I wanted to keep reading to see what the next character would have to say.

As I am trying to be more critical in my book buying selection, I am finding that if a short sample doesn’t grab me and make me want to read more, I can’t bother picking the book up. This one had me from the first page. I look forward to reading it and seeing what others have to say about it.

Decision?

To buy. I just got it in the mail this week. Wee!

No comments:

Post a Comment