Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

Swoon Thursday

So, what have I been doing all week? Funny you should ask.

I was all set to post for Valentine's Day. Instead of going with a swoon from my current book, I wanted to find a perfect swoon from one of my favorite books. But which book to choose? I pulled out Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Persuasion and Emma by Jane Austen, The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot, Nevermore by Kelly Creagh, Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison, Falling in Love with English Boys by Melissa Jensen, Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier and Love Maybe? by Heather Hepler as well as a few others. Unfortunately, what happened is I took so long reading through passages that by the time I looked up, it was past midnight and there was really no reason to post a Valentine's Day swoon anymore.

Of course, I started late since me and the hubby went to our favorite watering hole. It's our version of Cheers and it's called The Cloverleaf and it is the place where everybody knows your name. Except in my case, they all know my hubby's name and I'm like the sidekick, which really isn't fair as I've been going there as long as he has and I'll have my third PhD before him, but I digress.

Anyway, we went for dinner and beer and had a lovely time.

Friday night he was off to go playing in the woods. He has now gotten into LARPing. He dons a character and goes romping around with other merry fellows also in character and they all have a jolly time. Which usually leaves me with reading time without him asking me what I'm reading all the time or watching a movie without him asking if it is the Mimi Rodgers movie. Which I haven't seen in like two years, but every movie is the Mimi Rodgers movie to him.

Sadly, I had no time to spend in leisurely pursuits. I have been training at a Kung Fu school for the past 14 years and although I have been on somewhat of a hiatus after my neck surgery, it is Chinese New Year which, at the school, is like homecoming. It means it is time for all hands on deck and to ready the equipment and go walking the streets of Chinatown doing a Lion Dance. Well, we have dragons too. But let me tell you. Up at 5:30, get to the school, drive to Manhattan, walk all over the streets of Chinatown for 6 hours playing cymbals and gong almost continuously, getting in the car and driving to Connecticut for a show at a restaurant, getting home after midnight, getting up on Sunday to do it all again. Sunday was supposed to be Queens and it was supposed to be a shorter day. We got shut down in Queens for not having a permit, so we went to Brooklyn and had to wait for their parade to end. When we finally took to the streets, it was another another three hours in the bitter, biting cold and I didn't get home until about 9 pm, so no Stacking the Shelves post this week, whicdh is really unfair as I have gotten in some books I want to share with you all.  I am still recovering from all the activity.
For those of you who do not know, The Lion Dances are a tradition within Kung Fu schools. The Lion or Dragon will go to the local businesses and if they receive a red envelop from the business will bless it for prosperity in the forthcoming year. The idea is that the more the business gives, the more fortune they will have for the year. It actually is quite a sight to behold. We have Kung Fu demo teams that perform on the street as well, so it's a good show to see. I am always playing music so I always see very little, but I had a break during one of the stunts so I could snap off a few pictures.  They're not great or anything.  We had a lion up on a pole, which you can sort of see below with two more lions and the dragon running around underneath.

We had another outing on Monday, but I was in a bit of discomfort after the first two days and just couldn't do it. My neck is still stiff. Monday after lunch, I just basically vegged out and when Cam went to his gaming club, I just kind of stared at the TV. It is exhausting, especially when you are no longer 20. I just have not had the energy to do anything else really.


I did manage however, to finish reading Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout, so now I have yet another review to write. I'm so lame.

But it is that time once again for....



Swoon Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by http://yabound.blogspot.com

It's simple. You take a book you're currently reading and share what made your toes curl and your heart race!!!

 

So, here is my swoon for the week.

His eyes zeroed in on my movements before he broke away, running a hand over his head. He let out a ragged sound and when he spoke, his voice was so low that I barely heard him. "I think...I'll remember how you looked last night for the rest of my life. Gods, you were so beautiful."

TTFN!!

2 comments:

  1. Good to catch up with your latest news. I hope you are now fully recovered, your neck ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I almost forgot to respond to this one, Tracy. My neck is somewhat better now. I think I just have to remember that I am no longer a spring chicken and can no longer do all the things I did 20 or 30 years ago or even 10. That is a hard realization to come to. Thanks for the well wishes and rest assured, I am feeling better and raring to go!

    ReplyDelete